This section of the web site provides information about scholarship, design competition, internship, and professional position opportunities. Check back frequently as this area of our web site will change over time.
Professional Shadowship Program
Please contact your Student Representative with questions regarding available firms, opportunities and sign up sheets.
The Landscape Architecture Department, in conjunction with the Landscape Architecture Department Advisory Council (LADAC) and participating professional partners, is launching its fourth annual Professional Shadowship program for LA majors. The program is designed to give students the opportunity to "shadow" senior professionals in a design firm work environment. Students will gain exposure to firm dynamics and network with design professionals in the realm of landscape architecture.
The shadowship will typically last between one work day to one work week (as determined by each individual firm) and may include office tasks including site visits, presentations, office meetings, design/production tasks, etc. In some cases, a shadowship may include multiple firm visits.
Dates of the shadowships are TBA as determined by the firm once student assignments are made.
Shadowship opportunities are available in the following metropolitan areas (subject to change):
- Spurlock Poirier
- City of Chula Vista
- Rick Engineering
- The Lightfoot Planning Group
- Estrada Land Planning
Orange County/Los Angeles
- EPT (Laguna Beach)
- BMLA (Corona)
- BrightView Design Group (Irvine/Santa Monica)
- IMA Design (Newport Beach)
- American Landscape Company (Canoga Park)
- Stantec (Irvine)
- Rick Engineering (Riverside)
San Luis Obispo
- Callander Associates (San Jose/San Mateo)
- CMG Landscape Architecture
- SWA Group
- National Park Service
- Design Lab 252
- City of Fremont (Fremont)
- Stantec (Petaluma)
The program is recommended for prospective, first, and second year students. Registration for the program is ongoing. To participate, or for further information, please contact CPLA Shadowship at email@example.com
* Note that shadowships are unpaid opportunities; participating firms are not responsible for student housing during the shadowship; the professional shadowship program does not satisfy the LA 371 internship requirement.